Delhi dating site free
After the announcement of the change, the British developed Lutyens' Delhi (in modern New Delhi) just south-west of Shahjahanabad.At this point, the older city started being called Old Delhi, as New Delhi became the seat of national government. The surrounding walls, 12 feet (3.7 m) wide and 26 feet (7.9 m) tall, originally of mud, were replaced by red stone in 1657.The Phool Mandi (Flower Market) of Daryaganj was established in 1869, and even today, despite serving a small geographical area, it is of great importance due to dense population.
It was once filled with mansions of nobles and members of the royal court, along with elegant mosques and gardens.
Delhi was one of the original twelve subahs (imperial Mughal provinces), renamed Shahjahanbad in 1648, bordering Awadh, Agra, Ajmer, Multan and Lahore subahs.
Daryaganj had the original cantonment of Delhi, after 1803, where a native regiment of Delhi garrison was stationed, which was later shifted to Ridge area.
North of the street, there is the mansion of Begum Samru, now called Bhagirath Palace.
South of the street is Dariba Kalan, a dense residential area, beyond which is Jama Masjid.